The Cardiac Surgery Scientific Association at MEDINET was established in October 2003 and from the beginning it met with immediate interest of medical students. The goal of its founders was to develop students’ interests in cardiac surgery, cardiology and anaesthesiology.
We teach students about cardiac examinations, present various diagnostic methods (ECG, echocardiography, coronary angiography etc.). Apart from the typically practical assignments, the students also write scientific papers, later presented at conferences, both for students and for physicians, in Poland and abroad. The members of the Students Scientific Association decided to run a campaign to increase patients’ awareness. At the rehabilitation department they offer presentations on “Frequent diseases in cardiac surgical patients” (e.g. ischaemic heart disease, atherosclerosis, arterial hypertension etc.). The topics are presented in interesting ways and explain the causes of diseases, methods of prevention and treatment options. Physicians and nurses working at MEDINET actively help to develop students’ interests.
Activity of the Cardiac Surgery Scientific Association at the MEDINET Lower Silesian Centre of Heart Diseases in years 2008/2009:
- Presentation of a paper at the European Students’ Conference in Berlin.
- L. Koltowski, A. Drohomirecka: “The relation between depression and quality of life In patients after cardiac surgery” – 2nd award of the session.
- Participation in the “Medical Robots” conference of the Foundation for the Development of Cardiac Surgery in Zabrze.
- Participation in the 14th Polish Conference of Medical Students Scientific Associations and presentation of the following papers:
- J. Fiedukiewicz, K. Kloc: Early results of coronary artery bypass grafting in patients with ventricular conduction delay and with impaired or preserved left ventricle systolic function – 3rd award of the procedure session.
- R. Wojtas, T. Graczyk: Factors contributing to post- operative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing isolated coronary artery bypass grafting.
- Presentation of a paper at the Congress of the European Society of Cardio-Vascular Surgery in Warsaw: Early results of coronary artery bypass grafting in patients with ventricular conduction delay and with impaired or preserved left ventricle systolic function.
- Participation in the symposium organised by MEDINET to celebrate the 5,000th surgery.
- Participation in the 64th Congress of the Association of Polish Surgeons, presentation of the paper:
- M. Piórkowski, P. Kwinecki, D. Rączka, A. Janus, J. Madej, A. Drohomirecka, R. Cichoń: Acute intestinal ischaemia in patients following cardiac surgeries.
- Participation in the World Heart Day, an annual event taking place in September at the Botanic Gardens in Wrocław and in Park Krasnala in Nowa Sól.
- Summer internships for the members of the Scientific Association in Herentrum Dresden (Germany).
- Internships for two members of the Scientific Association at the Regional Hospital in Zweisimmen (Switzerland).